In a move to secure America’s dominance in space, the Trump administration is fast-tracking plans to build a nuclear reactor on the moon, according to an internal memo from Transportation Secretary and acting NASA Administrator Sean Duffy. Shared on Monday, the directive signals an ambitious push to establish a sustainable human presence on the lunar surface, with far-reaching implications for exploration and national security.
A Leap in Lunar Energy
NASA has previously explored the idea of a lunar nuclear reactor to generate electricity, but Duffy’s plan takes it to a new level. Documents obtained by the New York Post reveal the administration’s goal to develop a 100-kilowatt reactor—more than doubling the power of earlier designs—and have it ready for launch by 2030. This timeline is critical, as it aligns with China’s planned manned lunar mission in the same year.
“To properly advance this critical technology to be able to support a future lunar economy, high power energy generation on Mars, and to strengthen our national security in space, it is imperative the agency move quickly,” Duffy stated.
The stakes are high: if a rival nation like China or Russia deploys a reactor first, they could “declare a keep-out zone which would significantly inhibit the United States,” his memo cautioned.
Scaling Up Past Plans
This initiative builds on NASA’s “Fission Surface Power Project,” which in 2022 awarded contracts for a 40-kilowatt reactor capable of providing power to 33 households. The new plan calls for a significant leap in capacity to support a thriving lunar base.
To make it happen, Duffy has directed NASA to name a project leader and gather input from private industry within 60 days, leveraging the capabilities of commercial spaceflight companies to deliver the reactor to the moon.
A Roadmap to the Moon and Beyond
The reactor project is part of a larger vision Duffy articulated last month on Fox News with Sean Hannity. “We’re going to go back to the moon during Donald Trump’s presidency,” he declared.
He outlined a phased approach: orbiting the moon next year, landing shortly after, and eventually establishing a permanent base. “We’re going to stay on the moon, and what we learn on the moon is what’s going to take us to Mars,” he told Hannity.
A Shift in Leadership
Duffy was named acting NASA head after President Trump withdrew the nomination of billionaire Jared Isaacman, an ally of Elon Musk’s. The decision followed a “review” of Isaacman’s history, Trump said, noting Federal Election Commission records showing Isaacman’s recent donations, including over $41,000 to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee in October 2024.
As NASA prepares to solicit proposals for the reactor, the project is being framed as a key battleground in what a senior official called “winning the second space race,” according to what a NASA senior official said to Politico.
With private companies ready to contribute and a 2030 deadline looming, the effort to power the moon is poised to shape the future of space exploration and America’s role in it.
NEW: Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy is set to announce plans to build a nuclear reactor on the moon, according to Politico.
According to new documents, the United States will be announcing expedited plans for the project.
NASA is hoping to launch a nuclear reactor by… pic.twitter.com/Zi4AjDml2Z
— Collin Rugg (@CollinRugg) August 4, 2025
The Fairview Gazette will keep you updated on any developments regarding this story.